martes, 4 de febrero de 2014

Growing up and finding happiness!


I've been thinking about the verb (or phrasal verb like my teacher would say ) "Grow up"; perhaps because I'm gonna be 26 years old in about 3 months. So I was wondering if I've grown up enough until now.

According to thefreedictionary.com the word "Grow" refers to develop and reach maturity. Moreover, it says that to "Grow up" is to become an adult. However, I was questioning what does the word "adult" really mean? Well, I googled it and the first answer appeared on Wikipedia: "Biologically, an adult is a human being or other organism that has reached sexual maturity. In human context, the term adult additionally has meanings associated with social and legal concepts. In contrast to a "minor", a legal adult is a person who has attained the age of majority and is therefore regarded as independent, self-sufficient, and responsible."

All that information made realize that biologically and legally speaking, of course I'm an adult. However, have I reach maturity? Well, I checked the concept and this was the answer: "In psychology, maturity is the ability to respond to the environment in an appropriate manner. This response is generally learned rather than instinctive. Maturity also encompasses being aware of the correct time and place to behave and knowing when to act, according to the circumstances and the culture of the society one lives in."

After reading these concepts, I think that "Growing up" is a process that you pass through day by day; and there´s not a particular age to reach real maturity. In fact I've known "old people" who are completely immature.


I guess that I'm still in the process of growing up, specially taking in consideration this part: "Being aware of the correct time and place to behave and knowing when to act" I know that the definition is incomplete, of course. However, it made me realize that "Growing up" implies to behave in the best way. For me, that means that  if you want to reach a better purpose, you need to let go the "bad" things you've done before or the ones you want to continue doing; but I also know that sometimes is difficult to choose sides (the concept of good and bad is up to you). I guess we have to fight for it, although that could be a battle against our own feelings and basic instincts.

It is also important to be awake, because sometimes we want to be happy only if our family or friends behave in a particular way; or if they give us exactly what we want to receive (even if it's something that it's not possible or it's part of our egoistic desires). We are so close-minded and sometimes so blind, that we want to fulfil our needs through a relationship (any kind), like it was a food service; when we really need to find happiness and love through ourselves. I believe that's the job we have to do to finally "Grow up"; and when we accomplish it, we only need to teach others how to do the same.

I have a lot of work to do now... Growing up is a hard but rewarding work I suppose!

<This post was written thinking about my future children and family> 



Follow me on Twitter @lady_jerez

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario